What are wood-destroying insects?
Powderpost beetles and wood-boring beetles are examples of wood-destroying insects. They enter our homes inside things like wooden beams, furniture, and other wood products. These pests will cause damage by eating away at the wood in those items and eventually moving to other areas of a home.
As with most wood-destroying insects, it is not the adults that cause the most destruction; it is their larvae. Adult females will lay their eggs in or on suitable wood. When the larvae hatch, they tunnel through and feed on the wood around them until they develop and emerge as adults.
Are wood-destroying insects dangerous?
Wood-destroying insects are dangerous to some of your belongings and your Pooler, GA home’s structure, but most are not a direct threat to people. Their tunneling and feeding habits will cause damage over time that is expensive and difficult to repair.
Why do I have a wood-destroying insect problem?
Wood-destroying insects, such as wood-boring beetles, become a problem in one of three ways:
- They will move into our homes inside things like wooden furniture, barn wood, or other older or weathered pieces of wood.
- We introduce them into our homes inside lumbar or structural beams that have not been appropriately treated or kiln-dried.
- Adults will move into a home on their own, usually through spaces around windows and doors. Once inside, they will lay eggs on the wood within your home.
Where will I find wood-destroying insects?
Adult wood-boring insects, such as powderpost beetles, primarily live outdoors. However, their larvae live inside wood. These insects live in and feed on wooden floors, structural timbers, wood paneling and trim, and antique furniture. They are most likely to be a problem in older homes with moisture or humidity problems.
How do I get rid of wood-destroying insects?
Let the professionals at Prestige Pest Control get rid of wood-destroying insects from your Georgia property. Finding and eliminating all wood-destroying insects from a structure is difficult and frustrating, which is why it is best to partner with a professional. Our professionals go the extra mile for our customers, providing pest control services that are effective and affordable.
Our highly trained and knowledgeable professionals solve problems with wood-destroying insects and other pests through our customized services and products that are EPA certified. To learn more about our monthly, bimonthly, or quarterly pest control options, reach out to us at Prestige Pest Control today!
How can I prevent wood-destroying insects in the future?
- Paint or stain exposed bare wood in or on your home.
- Don’t use barn wood in your home.
- Inspect wooden antiques for small holes.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawlspaces well-ventilated to prevent them from retaining moisture.
- Use air conditioners to help lower humidity level in your home.
- Ensure that lumber used inside your home has been appropriately kiln-dried to kill any wood boring insects that may be present.