How Do Mice Keep Getting Into My Pooler, GA Home?
November 15, 2021
As you can probably tell from their name, house mice are the most common home-invading rodent. They are one of the most common pests people in the United States have to deal with, and Pooler, Georgia is no exception. This may be because of the dependency they have developed with humans, relying on us for the essentials of life, food, water, and shelter.
To identify house mice, look for:
- Brown to dark grey fur
- Velvety fur covering their long and skinny tail
- Their body can measure between 3 to 4 inches
- The tail adds an extra 2 to 4 inches to their total length
- They have whiskers, a pointed muzzle, large ears, and tiny eyes
While this particular rodent species is small and doesn’t seem to do much damage, this couldn’t be further from the truth. House mice are no exception to the danger rodents bring when they infest a home. These dangers include damaging your property, which can even lead to flood and fire hazards, spreading diseases such as hantavirus and Lassa fever, spreading parasites like fleas and ticks, contaminating food and surfaces, and causing allergies and asthma.
Suffice it to say, no Pooler residents want to deal with these rodents in their homes, no matter how small they might be.
What Attracts Mice
As previously mentioned, house mice, like other rodents, are dependent on people for food, water, and shelter. These are the factors that attract them to our homes in the first place. Here are some specific factors that could be attracting mice to your home:
- Opened food, including pet food
- Fallen fruit in your yard
- Bird feeders on your property
- Crumbs and spills left to sit in your home
- Leaks and water damage
- Yard debris, like foliage
- Any unused object left sitting provides a hiding place
- Clutter inside your home where they can nest without being disturbed
- Easy access through doors and windows
- Gaps the size of a dime on the exterior of your home allows them to squeeze inside
Rodent’s teeth never stop growing, and because of this, they need to chew to keep them from overgrowing constantly. So, another factor that attracts house mice to a home is the many different materials they can chew on. From wood to wiring and pipes, insulation, plaster, furniture, and more, these little critters will chew it all, damaging your home and belongings in the process.
How To Prevent Mice
If you have experienced a mouse infestation before, you probably know now how crucial prevention is. Whether you want to keep mice from returning or make sure you never have an infestation, here are some tips you can use:
- Store all opened food in air-tight containers, including pet food.
- Clean up any crumbs and spills right away.
- Take your garbage out regularly.
- Remove bird and other pet feeders from your property or keep them away from your home.
- Store firewood so it is not accessible.
- Keep your yard free of debris.
- Declutter the inside of your home.
- Fix any leaks and replace anything that has been water damaged.
- See to other moisture issues you may have.
- Seal any potential entry points in the foundation and exterior walls of your home.
- Fill in the gaps around utility lines and vents where they enter your home.
How To Get Rid Of Mice
While these store-bought traps will eliminate a few rodents, they will not eliminate the entire infestation. The most effective way to get rid of rodents on your Pooler property is with professional assistance. Call us at Prestige Pest Control to hear about our rodent control options and how we can help you have a pest-free home. We have the knowledge and the tools to eliminate these nasty invaders. Reach out to us today!